What is AR, or augmented reality?
Augmented reality (AR) seamlessly blends the digital and physical worlds to produce an artificial environment. Programs for PC or mobile that support augmented reality and incorporate digital aspects into the real world. For instance, AR technology permits the appearance of 3D images, texts, and emails as well as the display of score overlays during live sports broadcasts. For instance, AR technology enables the display of score overlays during live sports broadcasts as well as the appearance of 3D images, texts, and emails.
Advantages of AR
The pros of augmented reality are as follows:
- Provides personalised instruction
- Promotes the process of learning
- Includes many different fields
- Provides creativity and ongoing progress
- Boost accuracy
- Experiences can be shared across great distances.
- Aids in the creation of games that provide players a “genuine” experience.
However, AR also has some disadvantages which includes the exceeding expense to implement, develop, and maintain. Lack of privacy and health problems such as eye or weight problems are other cons of AR.
Applications of AR
- Apps for augmented reality are being created that include text, images, videos, etc.
- AR apps are being used by the printing and advertising industries to overlay digital content on top of physical periodicals.
- AR technology enables the creation of translation apps that assist you in having foreign language text translated for you.
- The Unity 3D Engine tool is being used to create real-time 3D games using AR.
Virtual Reality (VR): What is it?
Virtual reality is a computer-generated simulation of a different reality or setting (VR). Both modern video games and the 3D movies benefit from this technology. VR makes use of computers and sensory equipment, such as headgear and gloves, to create simulations that are true to the real world and “immerse” the viewer. Virtual reality is utilised in science, education, and training in addition to for fun and gaming.
How does VR work?
Virtual reality is primarily concerned with simulating vision. To experience this technology, a VR headset screen is placed in front of the user’s eyes, which removes any contact with the outside world. Two lenses are positioned between the screen and VR. Based on each individual eye’s movement and placement, the user must adjust their eyes. A PC or smartphone connected through an HDMI cable can render the images displayed on the screen. Virtual reality allows for the use of stimulation for the visual, aural, and haptic (touch) senses as well, making the created world immersive.
Virtual reality's benefits (VR)
The pros of virtual reality are as follows:
- Integrated learning
- Makes the environment lively
- Boosts your workforce’s capacity
- The ability to build a realistic world that the user may explore is one of the most significant benefits of VR.
- Education is made easier and more comfortable with virtual reality.
- Users of virtual reality can experiment in a manufactured setting.
However, virtual reality also has some disadvantages such as the escapism behaviour of people who might prefer the virtual world more than the real, hindering their daily functions and mental happiness.
Applications of VR
- Building and enhancing a virtual reality for the gaming industry.
- The military can employ VR for training purposes such as battlefield and aircraft simulators.
- In various sports, virtual reality (VR) is utilised as a digital training tool to measure performance and assess technique.
- It’s also increasingly popular as a treatment option for post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Users can enter imagined and real-world situations, such as a squawking penguin colony or even the back of a dragon, using VR devices like Google Cardboard, HTC Vive, and Oculus Rift.
- With the help of VR technology, patients can experience their fears in a secure setting.
- Students are assisted in developing abilities that can subsequently be utilised in the actual world by using virtual patients.
How do AR and VR work together?
When augmented reality technology and virtual reality technology are combined to take the person to the fictional world, it adds a new dimension of interaction between the real and virtual world and blend together to produce a better engaging experience.